Thursday, June 14, 2007

Quirky things

Being sick sucks. Especially when you´re far away from home and far away from vegetable soup and all the comfy amemnities of home. Like your own bed, a bathtub, etc. I really, really need some soup right now. I think I mentioned earlier that I´m going to just order chicken soup when I get back. Yeah, I´m not really looking forward to it, but I need some. Argh! So here´s a list of some quirky things I´ve noticed here so far:
1. So, limes here are orange. It´s weird. But I ordered some suco de limaõ (lime juice) today and it was delicious!
2. Yesterday I talked to a cool hippie dude that didn´t speak much English and I bought a cool gift from him. He owed me $10 in change, but only had 9, so for the extra dollar, he gave me a ring. People give weird thing for change around here.
3. It is so beautiful here. I love the weather, the blue sky (even thought it is overcast sometimes) the colorful houses, the buffets that weigh your plates, the abundance of motorcyles and yes, even the rude drivers. The rude drivers make me feel like I´m at home!
4. I saw a horse drawn carriage trotting down the street today. That was bizarre.
5. I watched a show on TV the other day that was in 3 different languages! It must be cool to speak a Latin/romance language, because it must be easy to learn them because they´re so similar. Stupid English.
6. There are stray dogs everywhere.
7. Fabric softener can easily be mistaken for laundry detergent. So beware!
8. There is no peanut butter here. What the heck!?
9. You have to empty out your pockets/purses of any cell phones, watches, etc when visiting the bank, otherwise, the rotating glass doors won´t let you in.
10. I´m never drinking orange juice from concentrate again. Can somebody get me a juicer for my birthday, please??

1 comment:

Autumn said...

Hi Nicole! Your mom gave me the link to your blog so I could see what you went through to get there! It's a shame that you are sick. Feel better soon.

I don't think anyone outside the U.S. understands peanut butter. It saddens me that so many people miss out on the delicious goodness of pb.